Friday 2 October 2009

Westminster Abbey




We were given the money and the assignment to go to Westminster on our own and so this Friday Melissa and I left to go (blissfully at our own pace) through the famed Cathedral. Sneakily before I realized that I could not take photos I snapped a few of the Cathedral so haha beat that guards!

Anyway, the voice of our narration was the actor who played Scar in Disney’s The Lion King so it was a little distracting at first and hard to get over the sinister nature of his character but do not worry, I was able to work through it. I was most excited to see Poet’s Corner so I am ashamed to say that I went through the rest of the church not on cruise mode but faster than maybe appropriate for such a hallowed hall. I definitely want to go back to Evensong some Sunday and enjoy the acoustics and spirit there.

I was surprised with all the political figures and Kings and Queens that had been buried there but then again it is part of the political tradition of the Kingdom so I understand. Poet’s Corner was amazing and I loved seeing all my favourite poets and writers but my favourite in the entire Cathedral was the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from 1920 and reading the inscription. Secondly, I thought it was interesting that the tomb of Elizabeth I was on top of Bloody Mary’s (next to innocent’s corner) with the inscription inferring that they followed Christ in their own way according to their consciences.

No comments:

Post a Comment