Tuesday 22 September 2009

Fountains Abbey





As the wealthiest Abbey in all of England it was only too inevitable that Fountains Abbey should be seized and later fallen to disrepair. On Tuesday we visited the tragically poetic overgrown Fountains Abbey that could not even help but inspire.


The Abbey was started in response to an unfavorable Bishop of York and consequently after sometime the people of York came and burned the exile's Abbey down. We have now seen Canterbury and York Cathedrals and yet there is something about seeing the ruined state without any art to distract you which allows you to have a better sense of the sheer massive nature of an abbey or cathedral.


While others took out their sketch books and captured the beauty in that medium I tried to improve my photography skills as I roamed the green grassy knolls (a theme of our Lake District trip). There was this bridge (shown below) built with Roman vaulted architecture completely overgrown around it passing over a stream with various types of plants growing. Unfortunately these are not the best representations of my photography skills so do not please do not judge.

1 comment:

  1. Fountain's Abbey was one of my favorite places in all of England. I found the serene beauty just SO i.n.s.p.i.r.i.n.g. So I have two of my old London SA friends in my stake now... and four of us are watching conference together this weekend! How awesome is that? PS, your blog background is amazing. C'est moi!

    ReplyDelete